The leaked draft of an executive order being considered by Trump authorizes the legalization of discrimination and outlaw abortion under the guise of "Religious Freedom."
The draft, entitled "Establishing a Government-Wide Initiative to Respect Religious Freedom," says the government will not force individuals or organizations to engage in activities that may "violate their conscience."
The order justifies its legality, stating the Constitution “ensures that Americans and their religious organizations will not be coerced by the federal government into into participating in activities that violate their conscience.It shall be the policy of this administration to protect religious freedom.”
If signed, it would
- allow federal employees to not perform their duties if they believe it violates their beliefs,
- let employers deny employee health coverage for contraception and abortion,
- enable employers to hire and fire base on their religious views,
- allow federally funded organizations to deny adoptions by same-sex couples,
- enable family service organizations to discriminate against same-sex couples,
- preserve the tax-exempt status of religious organizations that "believes, speaks, or acts (or declines to act) in accordance with the belief" that marriage is or should be between one man and one woman,
- declares that one's sex is determined by their "immutable biological sex determined by anatomy, physiology, or genetics at or before birth." and
- affirms life begins at conception and "merits protection at all stages of life."
The order would require the department of Justice to defend these "religious freedoms."
Those most heavily targeted by this order: LGBTQ people, women, members of minority faiths, and athiests.
The only good news about this draft is that it hasn't been signed. Yet.
In related news, At today's National Prayer Breakfast, Trump vowed to "totally destroy" the Johnson Ammendment to the US Tax code prohibiting churches from engaging in political activity at the risk of losing their tax exempt status.
"I will et rid of and totally destroy the Johnson Amendment and allow our representatives of faith to speak freely and without fear of retribution." Adding, "freedom of religion is a sacred right, but it is under serious threat
Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-religious-freedom-executive-order_us_5892a812e4b0af07cb6b8672